In various incarnations, Amelia’s Diner has been slinging out luncheonette fare for decades, as a photo documenting the nearby Holland Tunnel’s opening day in 1927 attests. The restaurant’s third and current owner is Nick Katehis, who bought it in 1989 and remodeled it in 1993.
The L-shaped hash house remains surprisingly sprightly, with beige walls; veneered tables; black, metal chairs; and illustrations of sunny Greek landscapes and seascapes. Since it’s limited to breakfast and lunch, the menu sticks to the usual retinue of eggs, omelets, waffles, and pancakes for the former and sandwiches, salads, burgers, and cold and hot platters for the latter.
© 2017 Amelias Diner. All Rights Reserved.